Dads are like coffees - they keep us up at night (sometimes), they provide us with comfort and we enjoy their company throughout the day. We made three recipes to keep Dad buzzed on his well-deserved day off. Give these concoctions a try at home!
Aptly named Red Eye, this drink was invented for passengers taking a long flight overnight, as fuel for the long day ahead. This would come in handy for Dads who have spent sleepless nights worrying about us (or still do). We think this is the one to start Father’s Day right.
We recommend a bright coffee capsule that would hold it’s flavour in brewed coffee, like the Kenya capsule by April Coffee Roasters. Expect to taste notes of blackberry and chocolate.
- 1 Espresso Shot
- 250ml Filter Brewed Coffee
Recommended Capsule: Kenya by April Coffee Roasters
- Brew 250ml of coffee.
- Pull one short espresso shot on top of the brewed coffee.
Coffee Ice Cubes
As unforgiving as the weather has been, it only gives us an excuse to have more iced coffees. We all know the feeling of aggressively sipping on our iced coffees as ice cubes threaten to dilute it, our Dads deserve better than that!
We did the math - 4 long shots gave us a tray of 16 coffee ice cubes. Just make a batch, keep stock in the freezer, and never run out of iced coffee again. Even better, we heard Dads enjoy a good coffee milkshake.
For this one, we used the Orthodox capsule, ST. ALi’s third wave twist on the classic Italian espresso blend. Notes of butterscotch, hazelnut and dark chocolate? Sounds like the perfect iced coffee to us, but don’t just take our word for it, let Dad decide.
- 4 Long Espresso Shots (Makes 16 coffee cubes)
- Fill your glass with the Coffee Ice Cubes
- 200ml Fresh Milk
Recommended Capsule: Orthodox by ST ALi
- Pull 4 long espresso shots, let cool.
- Pour into ice cube tray, and place in freezer for at least 3-4 hours.
- Remove coffee ice cubes from the tray, and put 5/6 cubes in a tall glass.
- Pour milk in, give it a stir, have a sip.
Honeyed Coffee Gin & Tonic
To end Father’s Day, we’re slipping in this one for our Dads who appreciate a good cocktail hour. This is our own take on the Honeyed Gin Coffee from Kumiko, in Chicago.
“The botanicals of particular gins may highlight notes of various coffees or certain roasts,” Julia Momose of Kumiko says, and we concur. We used the Damaris Camposeco from Colonna Coffee, and it’s aromatic hints of black grape and cranberry were weaved into the gin and elevated, resulting in a sweet, fragrant cocktail that’s sure to impress Dad.
- 1 oz. Gin
- ½ oz. Honey (2:1)
- 1½ oz. Espresso Shot
- Tonic Water to fill
Recommended Capsule: Damaris Camposeco by Colonna
- Fill a glass with ice.
- Stir to chill the glass, then strain out the melted water.
- Combine the coffee, honey syrup and gin in the glass.
- Stir to chill, then top with tonic water, add more ice as needed.
- Twist a lemon peel over the top of the drink and use as a garnish.
Still looking for a gift? Pick up the Morning Father’s Day exclusive Discovery Box here.